Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Is college a good investment?

There was an interesting article posted on msnbc.com today.  The headline is "Fewer people see college as a good financial investment" and if you want to read it, click HERE.

Personally, I believe my college degrees were the best investment I could have made, hands down.  While the financial and employment benefits are the most tangible results of my investment, I would like to offer just a few other benefits that may not be so noticeable but are a HUGE part of what has made me into who I am today.
  • A vast majority of my closest friends, I met in the hallways and classroom of my alma mater, they are the ones that I depend and rely on for wisdom, counsel, advice, stress relief, a good laugh or a good cry.
  • Confidence in myself and my abilities.  Going in to college I had a small level of confidence, but there is no way the high school graduate me would ever believe that the college graduate me would be doing the things I am doing.  I chalk that up to the "college experience."
  • Egotistically, I like to believe that I had very good writing, speaking, reasoning and thinking skills when I entered college, however through my classes and two degrees, I developed some amazing critical thinking skills and the ability to see big picture ideas.
  • Acquiring an understanding of just how small the world really is and how hard people should work to understand one another.  This was probably the most difficult lesson I learned in college, and 95% of it happened outside the classroom but in the academic environment
I have an AMAZING job because of my college degree and it isn't one I could have gotten without it.  So if you ask me, yes, college is the best investment I have ever and will ever make in my lifetime (unless someone gives me a super hot stock tip and I end up making millions in the stock market, although that doesn't seem likely, so I'll stick with my original claim.)

I'd love to hear your feedback, what do you think about investing in college?

No comments:

Post a Comment